Caring for your Alpaca Clothing and Homewares
Garments made from alpaca have a smooth, soft and silky feel.
They do not pill easily and retain their shape very well.
- hand wash
- do not bleach
- smooth by hand while wet to remove wrinkles and straighten the seams and facings
- lay them in a flat position in the shade to dry
- use a cool iron.
(And they're also dry-cleanable.)
Be sure alpaca clothing articles are fully dry before storage. It is NOT recommended to use moth balls –-- use instead sachets of dried lavender or cedar to deter moths.
Woven garments (rugs, coats, jackets etc)
- dry-clean only.
Advice with dry-cleaning
- bring with you any labels or hang tags that contain alpaca fibre information or care instructions
- inform the cleaner of any spots or stains, as they will want to treat some stains before the dry cleaning process. (Never use chlorine bleach).
- we suggest that you request the cleaner use fresh or filtered solvent, and a dry cleaning process that does not involve tumbling of the garment and uses low heat (140°F / 60°C) drying.
Looking after your Pillows and Quilts
- apart from the Kelly and Windsor Country Range, quilts are dry-clean only.
- on a sunny day, air your quilt on the line.
- wash pillows using warm water and a wool wash
HOW TO CLEAN PARTICULAR STAINS
- Chocolate: Wash with delicate detergent and then with solvent.
- Coffee: Wash in cold water with delicate detergent and treat residual stain with solvent.
- Grease: Treat with solvent.
- Ink: Absorb with baby powder, soak in lemon juice and water solution and then in alcohol.
- Lipstick: Treat with alcohol.
- Liqueur: Wash with delicate detergent in warm water.
- Make-up: Wash with solvent, then wash with shampoo.
- Perfume: Wash with glycerine and alcohol.
- Red wine: Wash in cold water, then apply lemon juice and water solution.
- Sauce: Treat first with delicate detergent in warm water and rinse.
- Shoe polish: Absorb with towel and treat stain with solvent.
- Sweat: Wash in hot water, ammonia, acetic acid, then rinse in hydrogen peroxide.
- Tea: Wash in warm water and delicate detergent.
- White wine: Wash in clean water and apply a delicate detergent.
your beautiful Alpaca products!